This was quite a surprise for Amazon fans when Anne Rice herself decided to speak out against the negative reviews against her novel, Blood Canticle, which she also gave herself 5 stars. Full information will be provided below.
Here are a few choice selections from the incredibly long-winded and rambling review, of her reviewers.
- “I’m justifiably proud of being read by intellectual giants and waitresses in trailer parks,in fact, I love it, but who in the world are you?”
- “And no, I have no intention of allowing any editor ever to distort, cut, or otherwise mutilate sentences that I have edited and re-edited, and organized and polished myself.”
- “You don’t enjoy it? Read somebody else. But your stupid arrogant assumptions about me and what I am doing are slander.”
- “However there is something compelling about Amazon’s willingness to publish just about anything, and the sheer outrageous stupidity of many things you’ve said here that actually touches my proletarian and Democratic soul.”
- “I’ll never challenge your democratic freedom to do so, and yes, I’m answering you, but for what it’s worth, be assured of the utter contempt I feel for you, especially those of you who post anonymously (and perhaps repeatedly?)” (Insert Democratic echo)
This was a shocker and perhaps caught many off-guard. It is never a good sign when a widely-successful author has to explain what her characters are doing/saying/thinking outside of the book. Perhaps Ms. Rice’s success has corrupted her ability to include all of that pertinent information within the bounds of the book and not message boards.